Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Post #7

Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student


Social Network Picture



Wendy Drexler's The Networked Student is a touch of reality. As a student, there is a lot to learn from this video. First, we need to realize that we are going to become teachers, very soon. We must truly evaluate the style and method that we will use to educate our students. I have the mindset leaning more toward a technology based method, but I thought I would use just books and a chalkboard when I first began. But the students of the 21st Century will be more skilled in technology rather than books. The reason that I say this is because of Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, just to name a few. Socail media is the new way of reaching our children. So what do you do when your children in class know technology and as a teacher, all you know is books and lecture?

Drexler spoke in this video about something called connectivism. This is many diverse connections and its ties. This method is to teach your students to take control of their learning, and not to wait for a teacher to teach you. I actually love this method because I believe each individual has been blessed with thier own creativity, and if we learn everything from the teacher, we only see her creative side, or the persons' who taught her. We should all be released  to express our own creative imagination. This is one great benefit of EDM310!

Why does the networked student even need a teacher? A networked student needs a teacher because, who's going to teach them how the decide what is good and bad learning habits? Who is going to give guidance of how to surf the web? How will the networked student learn to build a learning network? All of these ideas are explained by the teacher. So it's essential to have a guidance leader to become that great teacher who will be able to guide his flock of followers in the future. 

I will be able to use these methods of becoming a networked student with my classes in the near future. I will also be able to educate them on how to write a quality blog post, use correct grammar, and even create a podcast. These will be an effective and fun learning tools for my students. Somebody said that we must, "face the facts" and the fact is, technology is the future of educating our children.

WELCOME TO MY PLE


Welcome to my PLE by Wendy Dexler was very impressive but also informative. I learned how to be a better organized student by using a PLN. Drexler's PLE was a bit different from my PLE because she had her PLE arranged by catagories. I never really thought to place the school information on the bottom and the other sites at the top. Drexler explained the need to reseach your projects and even seek peer reviews by professionals before making your final post. This is a good way to get better as well as recieve healthy correction. I now have a better understanding of not just what to add to my PLN by also how to arrange the order. This was a great video

1 comment:

  1. "So what do you do when your children in class know technology and as a teacher, all you know is books and lecture?" An excellent question!

    What about part 2 of this assignment?

    ReplyDelete