Friday, April 6, 2012

Blog Post #10

Do you teach or do you Educate?


I'm so glad that I watched this video comparing on, Do you teach or do you Educate? The reason is because it's possible to get them confused. I do believe it's possible to do both, but the catch is, to know when your doing teaching or educating, or both. In my humble opinion, I trust that more 50% of schools staff don't know which they are operating in. Now this is not an attack on education, because I'm in the same field, which would mean I would be attacking myself. This is my point, we should target which method to use and when. Teaching is not all bad, because we should teach our kids good morals, how to speak, how to carry themselves in the public eye, and etc. But to educate, is to lead by example. Educating is to demonstrate what you just explained. My Pastor often says, "you can't teach what you don't know, and you can't lead where you don't go." So teaching is head knowledge, educating is walking out that knowledge.

My goal is to live out what I teach, through education. I will teach my students, but I will educate them twice as much. The video said that teaching is to inspire, enlighten, an advisor, guide, a person. These are what I plan to do with my students. As I monitor student productivity is classrooms to today, it is at an all time low, why? Because the classes are boring and full of lectures(teaching). Students want to participate more, and they should! We as adults teach kids to reject from being a know it all, but we never let them teach, so are we being a hypocrite? I will allow my students to play a part in class, and I will use their creative ideas to create games and activities for school functions. By doing this, teaching and educating will be both beneficial, especially having my student excited to be educated.

DON'T LET THEM TAKE PENCILS HOME


Picture of a pencil




This was a very eye opening blog for me to review. Don't Let them take pencils home made me question the simple fact of taking a pencil home. I mean, kids like to draw or write poems, and many other cool things with pencils at home. So I wondered, what could really be the harm in such a thing? But the reality is in the numbers, lower test scores speaks very loud and clear. Maybe we need to move beyond the normal homework assignments. Children love to be creative and innovative, but how can they, if school work follows them home, with wearisome writing? I love the point that was made, about a "parent pencil program," which in return gets the parent and child involved in a fun way. Who knows, this method could even tear down walls of seperation between  the parent and child within the home.

I will surely keep this blog in mind, once my education class is started. I must think of ways to keep my children active at home, without a pencil, or maybe with pencil games. This post really just stirs my mind to be leary leaning toward familar ideas, and to be rather creative, or to allow my students to be creative. Many great ideas dwell within the mind of our children, let's dig them out!

2 comments:

  1. "...how to carry themselves in the public eye, and etc." You don't need the and. I would also just say carry themselves in public, etc.

    You did not understand that Johnson's (Spencer's) commentary was an extended metaphor or allegory in which pencils were computers. Reread the post with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog post. You might want to read the pencil post again.I think you missed the part about technology.

    ReplyDelete